With so many vibrant veges in season, our inner creative cooks come to life with lush salads, using the variety of fruit and veg at the ready. But, you can’t go past asparagus and potatoes. These two delicious staples, which are both a source of fibre and natural goodness, are ripe for the picking during November, making them perfect to add a little something extra to your salads and BBQ dishes. Why not try this delicious potato salad with chargrilled peppers, asparagus and avocado recipe from 5+ A Day, next time you entertain this summer!
1. Halve potatoes and boil with a pinch of salt for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender, drain and set aside to cool
2. Mix shallots, garlic, juice of one lemon, zest of one lemon, oil and yoghurt then pour over cooled potatoes mix with your hands gently to coat and refrigerate
3. Blanch asparagus for one minute in boiling water, drain, pour over ice-cold water to bring the colour up, drain and chop
4. Slice the avocados and squeeze remaining lemon juice on the slices to prevent browning
5. Pour potatoes onto a white platter then place avocado on top, followed by red peppers and finally chopped asparagus (you can also add roasted nuts for a real treat)