Ripe for the picking in August, tamarillos are an exotic addition to winter salads, desserts, baking and for a little extra tang and bite.
Spice up your winter dessert collection with this decadent Tamarillo Steamed Pudding from 5 A Day Charitable Trust.
1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line moulds or cups (you will need 6)
2. Sprinkle a little of the dark brown sugar in each mould and then place on top one half of the tamarillos (sliced side down), chop up the leftover tamarillo for the filling
3. Cream butter and brown sugar and then add the eggs and vanilla, beat until combined. Fold through the sifted flour, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and gently stir through the left over tamarillo
4. Pour mixture into each mould on top of the sliced tamarillos
5. Create a bain marie using a deep oven-proof dish, place the puddings in. Add boiling water to the dish until the water reaches half way up the moulds sides then cover with damp baking paper
6. Bake for 35 minutes or until cooked through (skewer comes out clean)
7. Allow the puddings to cool slightly and then remove from moulds, serve while warm