Cherries - Top 5 Tips
- New Zealand cherries are available in December and January.
- Cherries are best stored in the refrigerator.
- The perfect serving size: 1/2 cup cherries - 75g.
- Cherries should be plump and firm - if wrinkled or shrunken, they may be past their prime.
- Don’t have a cherry pitter? No problem. Use a chopstick or a straw to push the pit through the cherry.
Nectarines - Top 5 Tips
- New Zealand nectarines are in peak season from January to March.
- Nectarines are best stored at room temperature.
- The perfect serving size: 1 nectarine - 143g.
- Stubborn stone that won’t pop out? Simply cut the fruit into segments while it is still attached to the stone.
- Look for nectarines with a nice red blush and sweet aroma.
Check out this refreshing recipe from 5+ A Day for Cherry and Nectarine Popsicles - the perfect summer cool down snack!
Cherry and Nectarine Popsicles
Makes: 3 - 6 Popsicles | Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: None but 4 hours freezing
1 cup of cherries (stones removed)
1 cup of sliced nectarine (stones removed)
1 tablespoon of sugar (to help them set)
Blend all ingredients, pour into ice tray or ice block molds and freeze overnight or for at least four hours.
Recipe courtesy of 5+ A Day, search 5adaynz on social media and like us for fresh inspiration & recipes.