These fruit are more than just a lunchbox filler – the only limit is your imagination.
Sweet treats like apple pie and poached pears might be the classic go-to, but as the base of a scrumptious salad, apples and pears add the perfect fresh and fruity crunch.
Check out these tasty salad recipes from 5+ A Day, featuring the perfect mix of sweet and savoury using apples and pears! With the unpredictable autumn weather giving us a mix of sunny and chilly days, you can choose to cool down with a chilled salad or keep toasty with a warm one.
1. Slice apple thinly and squeeze over lemon juice to stop browning
2. On a platter layer spinach, cranberries, nuts and cheese
3. Combine the dressing ingredients and pour over salad just before serving
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. In a bowl, combine marinade ingredients with the Nashi Pears. Mix to cover the pears in the marinade
3. Transfer the pears to a roasting pan and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes (the pears will be slightly caramelised)
4. Toast the walnuts in pan for about 4 or 5 minutes with a sprinkle of salt. Toss frequently to avoid burning them
5. In a frying pan, heat oil with garlic and chilli. Add prawns and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they are cooked through (the colour will change to pink). Toss through lemon juice
6. Arrange salad greens on a platter and top with Nashi Pears and prawns. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve