Mushrooms are packed full of biotin and panthothenic acid which helps release energy from fat and also serve as a great source of dietary fibre, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, copper, phosphorus, potassium and selenium!
What’s best is they come in a range of varieties and are available all year around! So they’re the perfect addition to any savoury dish for flavour and texture no matter what time of year it is.
Looking for a crowd pleaser for your summer BBQs? Why not try these Stuffed Mushrooms with Ricotta and Basil from 5+ A Day Charitable Trust for a great base for dinner or party snack pleaser this summer!
1. Heat oven to 180°C
2. Heat a little olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and cook until tender. Set aside
3. Use the same pan to cook the diced mushrooms stalks in a little olive oil, until tender
4. In a bowl combine onion, mushrooms stalks, ricotta cheese, two thirds of the basil, bread crumbs and two thirds of the Parmesan cheese
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place the mushrooms on the tray, gill side up. Spoon the onion mixture into each mushroom
6. Top each filled mushroom with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through and cheese is golden on top
7. Garnish with basil and serve while warm